Please note that text in red denotes my comments

This article by investigative journalist Jim Campbell appeared in the Sunday World on January 24th 2005 under the banner heading of:

I want the world to see how speculator stole £1.5M from my handicapped brother.


The story of how a mentally-impaired millionaire had his fortune plundered by an unscrupulous property speculator and is now forced to live in poverty has been flashed round the world.
For Eileen Wright has gone global in her 26-year campaign to find out what happened to the £1.5 million inheritance bequeathed to her brother in 1972.
The 83-year-old widow has launched an Internet web site detailing the sorry saga of greed, graft and violence surrounding a large cash legacy and a portfolio of valuable property in Belfast city centre which was left by respected business-man Frederick Andrews for the future upkeep and care of his special needs son Freddy junior.
The Internet dossier, which reads like a thriller, makes shock allegations about members of the legal profession, politicians and senior policemen in a drama that even stretched to 10 Downing Street when Margaret Thatcher was British Prime Minister.


The dossier also reveals how an RUC detective who claimed his probe into Freddy's missing millions uncovered a sinister web of deceit and corruption was found dead in bizarre circumstances.
Eileen says that before she dies she intends to expose all those responsible for her family's dramatic change in life-style from a big house at Belmont to a small terrace house in east Belfast.
Her Internet story called "The Freddie Andrews Story" explains how her father, owner of a well-known car sales business, invested in property which at his death in 1972 was worth over £1 million.
The bulk of his estate was left in trust for Freddy who was mentally-impaired as a result of an operation which went wrong in his early teens.
"My father wanted to ensure that Freddy would always be cared for in the manner in which he and the rest of the family were brought up;"comfortably well off but not spoiled" Eileen said.
But when Freddy senior died, his business associate, wealthy Bangor Plymouth Brethren Charlie Gilpin, moved in and started to sell off, at knock-down prices, Belfast city centre property which had been left to Freddy junior.
One of the properties sold off by Gilpin later became part of the site on which the Castlecourt Shopping Centre in Royal Avenue was built which would have made it a very valuable piece of real estate.
Gilpin also pressurised Freddy junior and his mother Minetta to move from Tara House, their luxury home at Castlehill Road in the prestigious Stormont district which was then sold to a solicitor and later re-sold to a judge.
Mrs Andrews was then moved from the plush mansion where she'd spent all her married life without any financial cares to a much smaller home in 4 Norwood Gardens where she was forced to look after Freddie on a small income until she died aged 92 years of age.
When another of the Andrews sons, William, challenged Gilpin, the Born Again Christian beat him about the head with a silver-topped walking stick, drove him from the Andrews Car Showroom in Belfast's Smithfield and had the locks changed.

Struck off.

Gilpin has since died but another of his associates in the dodgy property sales, shyster solicitor Herbie Wright (no relation to Eileen) got a two year suspended jail sentence and was struck off by the law society.
In the hope of protecting Freddie from further exploitation, his family had him made a ward of court - which Eileen says "was the worst thing we ever did".
For although the plundering of Freddie's inheritance was a crime, the courts made no attempt to recover any of the valuable city centre property or the original family home at Stormont.
Worse still, they only doled out a pittance of her late husband's fortune to Mrs Andrews for the upkeep of herself and Freddie.
At one point, Mrs. Andrews was forced to write begging letters to the court asking for an increase in the allowance while other members of the family chipped in to buy cigarettes for the man who'd been left millions but now lived in poverty.
East Antrim MP Roy Beggs asked several questions in the House of Commons seeking information about the way the court was handling Freddie's affairs - but never received any answers.
Mr. Beggs appealed directly to Margaret Thatcher calling for a freeze on the sale of Freddie's property, alleging he was the victim of a conspiracy and demanding a public inquiry.
But nothing as done.
His Ulster Unionist colleague Belfast councillor Chris McGimpsey kicked up such a stink about the "appalling condition" of the Norwood Gardens House that the court released £17,000 to have urgent repairs carried out to the property.
An RUC detective, Mervyn Patterson, who probed Eileen's allegations about Freddie's fortune being looted, later told the Sunday World he had uncovered "a web of deceit and corruption" which he insisted involved several highly-placed figures.
But he told Eileen that people in authority refused to listen to him or take any action on his findings because of the powerful people involved.
Patterson told a Sunday World reporter, possibly the last person he spoke to, that if anything happened to him he would have been got at by rogue elements within the police which wanted to silence him.
Hours later the fraud squad detective was found shot through the head on a beach near his home at Newtownabbey on the shores of Belfast Lough.
His hands were tied behind his back and no gun as ever found.
But police investigating his shooting said the bonds to Patterson's arms were just loose enough to have enabled him to have shot himself in the head with a gun tied to a piece of wood which then was washed out to sea on a receding tide.


And the official decision was that he'd taken his own life in an attempt to incriminate police colleagues who he mistakenly believed were part of a wide-ranging conspiracy to discredit and silence him over his allegations of high-level corruption in the Andrews case.
As well as giving full details of the policeman's allegations and his subsequent bizarre death Eileen Wright claims on her web site that despite her age she was also branded "dangerous" by one Official Solicitor who sought a court injunction restraining her from even writing to his department.
Eileen said yesterday: "But no matter what happens to me now this information which I have posted on the Internet will live to haunt the legal fraternity of Northern Ireland for years to come".
"And the web site will also act as a warning to other families about what can happen when mentally ill people with money are made wards of court," she said.