Please note that text in red denotes my comments

The Sunday World newspaper printed the following article by journalist Jim Campbell on page 16 of its October 29th 2000 issue, under the banner heading:

"Who Blew Freddie's Lost Millions?

Battling pensioner Eileen Wright has vowed to continue a 22 year battle to win her brother's birthright.
The 79-year-old says she will not give up on the quest to ensure her mentally handicapped brother Freddy inherits the fortune left to him by their father.
For the past 22 years Eileen has campaigned to discover what happened to property worth millions which her father, wealthy motor-dealer Frederick Andrews, willed to his son.
Six different legal teams have failed to unravel the legal tangle of Freddy's financial affairs.
Another solicitor was given a two-year suspended jail sentence after being found guilty of dishonesty.

An RUC detective who claimed his investigations into the missing millions uncovered a web of deceit and corruption was found shot dead in bizarre circumstances.

The battle for Freddy's millions even went as far as Downing Street.
East Antrim MP Roy Beggs wrote to the then Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher alleging a high level conspiracy to strip the mentally-handicapped man of his inheritance.
And the prestigious Castle Court shopping centre in Belfast city centre now stands on land which Eileen claims rightfully belongs to her brother.


Their father owned Andrews Car Showroom on a valuable city centre site near Belfast's old Smithfield Markets and before his death in 1972 had invested in property which he left to take care of Freddy's needs in his old age.

But millionaire furniture retailer, the late Charlie Gilpin, a Plymouth Brethren with extensive property interests, took over the dead man's business affairs and began to dispose of the property which had been willed to Freddy - now 72 years of age, in poor health and living in a nursing-home.

Eileen says that when another of her brothers challenged Gilpin about the sale of Freddy's assets the Born Again Christian hit him over the head with a silver-topped cane splitting his skull, drove him off the family premises and had the locks changed.
She claims crooked Gilpin sold off Freddy's property at knock-down prices and cites the case of the Smithfield car showroom, which she can prove cost her father 200,000 to build, was sold for only 35,000 and subsequently resold a few years later for a massive 375.000.
Bertie Wright, a rogue solicitor brought in by Gilpin to replace the Andrews family's old legal retainers, was found guilty of dishonesty in some of these transactions and given a suspended two-year sentence and debarred by the Law Society.
Hoping to protect Freddy from further unscrupulous exploitation by Gilpin the Andrews family had him made a ward of court.

But Eileen claims this was "the worst thing we ever did".

For she says the courts then took control of Freddy's financial affairs and soon afterwards moved the family out of the mansion in which they lived at 14 Castlehill Road beside Stormont because they said it was too big for their needs and too costly to maintain.


Eileen says her mother was moved to a much smaller house at Norwood Gardens "and from then until she died aged 92 she lived in genteel poverty".
She was forced to get by on only 25 a week of her husband's money.
"A big come-down in the world from the lifestyle she had when my father was alive," Eileen said.

She claimed her mother even had to write begging letters to the court which was now in control of Freddy's financial affairs pleading for money for special needs.

Relatives had to chip in money each week to buy cigarettes for Freddie, a heavy smoker, and she claims that when her mother was awarded a carer's allowance a judge ordered it be paid into the court because it was part of the family estate.
In March 1987 East Antrim MP Roy Beggs, outraged at what he discovered when he probed the Andrews' case, wrote to Margaret Thatcher who was then Prime Minister urging her to hold an inquiry into what had happened to Freddy's lucrative inheritance.
Pulling no punches the MP demanded an immediate freeze on the sale of Freddy's property and bluntly stated he was the victim of a conspiracy.
RUC detective Mervyn Patterson who investigated complaints claimed he had uncovered a web of deceit and corruption which involved several highly-placed figures.

He repeated these allegations to a Sunday World journalist and warned ominously that he thought his life was in danger because of what his investigations had uncovered.

Just hours later his body was found on the Belfast Lough foreshore close to his Whiteabbey home. He had been shot in the head.
His hands and legs were tied and no gun was found at the scene.
An inquest brought in a suicide verdict based on police speculation that Patterson shot himself in a bizarre attempt to make his death look like murder.
The police theory was that the gun he used had been tied to a piece of wood which then floated out to sea.

Although she can't prove it, Eileen Wright believes the RUC officer was murdered because he'd discovered well-known figures were involved in the conspiracy to defraud Freddy and what she claims was a subsequent police cover-up.


"I'll always remember Mervyn Patterson as the policeman who worked the hardest to get to the truth about what happened to my brother Freddy's fortune.
"I'm firmly convinced he was brutally murdered to silence him about what he'd discovered," she said yesterday.
"If for no other reason than the memory of this decent police officer I'll continue with his quest to get justice for my mentally-handicapped brother"."